Monday, March 13, 2006

I know it's only coffee, but I like it.

Last year during the WBC/SCAA here in Seattle I was at one of the many parties and a guy I know who is a local coffee house owner made the comment "It's only coffee." Now this is fairly interesting since he owns a well known local coffee house and makes his living off peddling coffee. In his comment he was referring to all the fuss about the barista competitions and I imagine also all the coffee geeks from around the world talking roasting, dosing and debating anything coffee. I have thought of this comment many times since then and I have thought he is right it is only coffee. At the same time you can say the same thing about anything that people get passionate about. I sort of feel sorry for the guy because having a passion for something anything is fun. Whether it is computers, sports, wine, food, cars, music or coffee, but passion about almost anything is what makes life exciting. So while I agree "it is only coffee" I like it and I like talking about it, making it, taking pictures of it and I like discovering it in it's many facets. Like the Stones who said it is only rock and roll but I like it I say the same about coffee.
So enjoy your coffee however you drink it and have passion in everything, but at the same time remember it is only coffee.

No comments: